Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Will Also Walk On Water


"(But) wait. Go back. Look. See those stunning moments when Peter stood there on his own. One like us actually did walk on water...and if such has been done once...it certainly can be done again."
Michael Heher, The Lost Art of Walking on Water, Reimagining the Priesthood



I share the predicament of Peter. I share in the sins of Peter. I sometimes am stubborn and impulsive like Peter...even noisy, nosy, arrogant and ignorant about some important things of the faith...like Peter...I share in the humanity of Peter

I share in his dreams, in his hopes, in his honest desire to take care of his loved ones - only to leave all behind because of a call...I share in the call of Peter.

While I share in his joy upon knowing the Lord, his zeal in following his newfound friend, his awe at the words of the Master, the depths into which he has anchored his trust that he'll never be forsaken, I likewise share in his anxiety in sometimes not knowing where all these wanderings are headed to, or what the future will be for him and for his companions...I share in the uncertainties of Peter.

This is the man who initially did already walk on water upon hearing that same voice that once called him on the shores while he was at work; the man who soon after started to sink when he lost focus on the Caller, and made a big fuss out of the impossibility of what he was already doing...the one who got right back on track when he returned his gaze on the God who is calling him. He is Peter, the one who was called and redeemed by Jesus...

I share in the salvation of Peter...

I will also walk on water!

No comments:

Post a Comment